Keeping or disposing of the cremated remains

To ensure fulfillment of these kind of requests, it is necessary to be aware of all the national, regional and municipal regulations, permits and restrictions.
First of all, it is possible to apply for authorization to keep the ashes in one’s home.
To obtain such an authorization it is sufficient for the next of kin to present a signed application to the Municipality, in which the ashes are to be kept. Once cremated remains are returned to the next of kin, the latter will pledge to keep them at their home, taking care to communicate any changes of residence to the relevant Municipality.

Similar to obtaining custody of the remains, the procedure for seeking permission to scatter the deceased’s ashes may be initiated upon being granted custody of the funerary urn. The legislation does not require that such dispositions are expressly stated in a will, so it is sufficient to enclose the documentation provided by the Municipality of death, in addition to that provided by the Municipality where the ashes will be scattered.
After cremation of the body, its cremated remains may be scattered in accordance with the personal wishes of the deceased in specifically designated areas within the cemeteries, buried in the ground at many locations or sprinkled on a special field, mountain, or in the sea (as long as free from artifacts and vessels) or on private property with the owner’s permission. The person in charge of dispersion may have been designated by the deceased or may be the spouse, another family member, or the executor of the will of the deceased.

For further information on all applicable regulations:




Our switchboard operates
24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Socrem Milano

Affiliated company.